Day 18 of Blogging from A to Z. Today’s letter is R
R is for the Rock of Ritual & Rote
with rote of ritual
rock bottom can become our
© Perle Champion
Ritual has many forms. Some as simple as making your morning coffee or tea; performing morning ablutions; etc.
I would add to those a few of my favorites – I’m sure you have more:
- Taking my early morning walk sans the distraction of headgear, so I can listen to my own thoughts and the sounds of nature around me.
- Writing stream-of-consciousness by hand in my journal on my retur
n, before the noise of the day intrudes and crowds out my own internal voice.
- Preparing food for the day whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. The cracking of an egg, butter on toast; the simple act of dicing carrots, celery, pickles for a tuna salad; julienning vegetables for a stir fry. All these rote preparations have a Zen affect when we pay attention.
- Lighting candles on my small home altar.
- Stroking my cat’s soft fur and relishing her soft purr as we settle on the couch with a good book and a glass of Pinot Noir.
- Writing in my gratitude journal a list of at least 5 things I am grateful for before turning out the lights at night.
What are some of yours?